|Novelty and High risk
- What is the novelty of your research?
- What is most groundbreaking aspect?
- What are the high risk aspects of the project?
- How is you project original?
- What is the expected paradigm shift?
- It seems that your two last objectives are not as much of a breakthrough as the first one.
- Concept definition: Can you define ‘x’ as the main concept? What do you mean by ‘Y’?
- Your strongest publications are on different topics, how will this affect your ability to face the research challenge?
- Please explain the nature of your multidisciplinary and holistic dynamic approach, and how will it work in the project.
- How will the different disciplines interact in the research?
- You ask for students. How would you get them to work on this project?
- Interdisciplinary nature of the team – what background will they come from and which areas will they cover? How will they work together?
- You do not seem to have experience in advising students/You don’t have experience as PI, how do you see yourself in that role?
- What is the role of each person declared in your proposal?
- Why do you need the grant? You made good publications so far and you will probably keep publishing good results without the grant.
- Your dedication time to the project seems low.
- How are you planning to spit you time between the different projects that you have?
- You have been quite successful in obtaining projects. How will you be able to devote 75% of your time to this project?
- You are applying to another grant with large intersections with this grant – what do you plan to do?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Why did you choose these specific case studies? Can you explain their diversity?
- What kind of data would be used?
- Questions relating to specific tasks and achieving their noted targets
- What makes you certain that a breakthrough can happen?
- This is long standing problem in the field, and you use the same methodology as before. Why should a breakthrough happen now?
- What is the potential impact that the project’s result could have?
- If this grant is successful, what will be the main achievement after the 5 years?
Back to ERC Interview Preparation Training guide