ERC is a highly competitive grant, with an elaborate set of unique rules, policies and terminology. Having a full grasp of all official ERC requirements and expectations is an essential first step in the process of preparing an application. This will help you decide whether this is the right grant for you and approach the writing process efficiently. This workshop covers all the basic essentials you need to know before starting the process.
COVID-19 Update: As long as travel restrictions remain in effect due to COVID-19, this workshop will only be available through our online webinar option (more information below).
The objective and added value of our ERC workshop:
In this workshop, we cover everything you need to know about the technical aspects of ERC. This includes all essential information from the official documentation and EC resources: the ERC Work Program, ERC Guide for Applicants, the ERC website and the online submission system, as well as important tips based on our years of hands-on experience with thousands of ERC proposals. Therefore, this workshop is ideal for potential ERC applicants who are not yet familiar with this grant and would like to learn more about it.
Importantly, this workshop only covers ERC basics. We thoroughly review all the official rules and provide you with a comprehensive understanding of this unique grant’s requirements. This will lay the foundation for understanding the ERC’s elusive and unofficial conceptual rules, covered in our “ERC Beyond Workshop: Achieving a Highly Competitive ERC Grant Proposal”.
In our experience, understanding ERC technicalities is a step that applicants tend to skip, however, by doing so they are missing crucial information which can directly affect the eligibility and competitiveness of the grant application. We know that reading all the official documents can be a tedious task – this is why we created this workshop to walk you through all these “boring” (yet essential) technicalities and answer questions about the less intuitive rules and policies. Once you have all the important information you need, you can move on to learning the ERC’s elusive and unwritten conceptual rules (which we highly recommend as a vital step in your path to ERC success).
The topics of the workshop include:
- ERC overview – what is it all about?
- Call types – StG, CoG, AdG and SyG
- Eligibility criteria and extensions of the eligibility window
- The ERC PI’s profile – what is a competitive track record in the ERC’s eyes?
- The ERC project – official requirements and evaluation criteria
- The evaluation process and review panels
- Submission restrictions
- The written application’s structure – B1 and B2
- The online submission system and online forms
- The resources section – how to present an ERC budget
- Annexes – ethics, host support letter and additional required supporting documentation
- Updates on the transition to Horizon Europe (changes to the 2021 and 2022 ERC calls)
- The ERC interview
As we discuss the above, we always keep in mind the most important grant writing aspect – the point of view of the reviewers. Since we know what reviewers are looking for, we know exactly what researchers should focus on and what they should avoid.
The who, what, when, and where of our ERC workshop:
- Who participates in our ERC workshop? Participants are typically first-time ERC candidates, as well as Research managers & Funding Advisers who are new to the ERC grant. The workshop can also be customized to accommodate the needs of research managers and funding advisers. Learn more here.
- What ERC calls does this workshop apply to? This workshop targets all ERC calls: Starting, Consolidator, Advanced and Synergy.
- When should you schedule the workshop? We recommend attending a workshop as soon as possible, and no later than 3 months before the relevant ERC deadline to allow considerable time for the proposal preparation phase.
- Where does our ERC workshop take place and how should you sign up? We offer both on-site and online workshops, in two formats:
- Closed-group workshops – For our institutional clients, we offer training sessions for closed groups that can be booked either at your premises or online.
- Open workshops – We offer ERC workshops open to single participants or small groups, either on-site at changing locations or online.
To inquire about a closed-group ERC workshop, please follow this link.
To sign up to an upcoming open ERC workshop, please follow this link.
See what past participants have said about our workshop:
Do you have any questions about these workshops before signing up? Contact us!