ERC is a highly competitive grant, with an elaborate set of unique rules, policies and terminology. Having a full grasp of all official ERC requirements and expectations is an essential first step in the process of preparing an application. This will help you decide whether this is the right grant for you and approach the writing process efficiently. This course covers all the basic essentials you need to know before starting the process.
COVID-19 Update: As long as travel restrictions remain in effect due to COVID-19, this workshop will only be available through our online course format (more information below).
The objective and added value:
In this course, we cover everything you need to know about the technical aspects of ERC. This includes all essential information from the official documentation and EC resources: the ERC Work Program, ERC Guide for Applicants, the ERC website and the online submission system, as well as important tips based on our years of hands-on experience with thousands of ERC proposals.
Therefore, this course is ideal for potential ERC applicants who are not yet familiar with this grant and would like to learn more about it.
Importantly, we’ll only cover ERC basics. We thoroughly review all the official rules and provide you with a comprehensive understanding of this unique grant’s requirements. This will lay the foundation for understanding the ERC’s elusive and unofficial conceptual rules, covered in our “ERC Beyond course: Achieving a Highly Competitive ERC Grant Proposal”.
From experience, understanding ERC technicalities is a step that applicants tend to skip. However, by doing so they are missing crucial information which can directly affect the eligibility and competitiveness of the grant application. We know that reading all the official documents can be a tedious task – this is why we created this course to walk you through all these “boring” (yet essential) technicalities and answer questions about the less intuitive rules and policies. Once you have all the important information you need, you can move on to learning the ERC’s elusive and unwritten conceptual rules (which we highly recommend as a vital step in your path to ERC success).
The topics of the course include:
- ERC overview – what is it all about?
- Eligibility criteria and extensions of the eligibility window
- The ERC PI’s profile – what is a competitive track record in the ERC’s eyes?
- The ERC project – official requirements and evaluation criteria
- The evaluation process and review panels
- The ERC Interview
- The ERC budget
- The online submission system and online forms
- The ERC application
At the end of this course, participants will have acquired a thorough and deep understanding of the ERC’s technical rules and requirements, and should feel better prepared to prepare competitive applications that meet the expectations of the reviewers.
- When is a good time to participate? We recommend to sign up to this course as soon as possible, and no later than 3 months before the relevant ERC deadline to allow considerable time for the proposal preparation phase.
- Who participates in our ERC course? Participants are first-time ERC candidates, applicants who have submitted to ERC in the past, and Research managers & Funding Advisers who wish to deepen their understanding about the ERC grant. Keep in mind, to achieve a competitive proposal – it is imperative to go beyond the written requirements, and learn the “unwritten” and elusive expectations of this grant. We have a dedicated “ERC Beyond” course as an important next step to this workshop.
- What ERC calls are covered? Our course covers the Starting, Advanced, Consolidator, and Synergy calls . We can put additional emphasis on specific calls during our live workshop formats (more information on workshop formats below).