The ERC interview is known to be challenging. Many find it stressful and difficult. By nature, ERC is a highly competitive grant, seeking for the best PIs with the best research projects. Other than ERC StG/CoG/SyG, no other funding scheme within Horizon 2020 allows the applicants to present themselves and defend their proposal.
It is thus a unique window of opportunity to communicate with the ERC review panel, clarify open questions, and further impress them.
The added value of our unique training service:
- Our training is individual. Unlike group settings, strategic planning of the interview & the rehersals focus all attention directly on the applicant.
- The applicant will receive very focused instructions based on the specific ERC application and the review panel(s).
- In addition to the 4 scheduled meetings, the researcher will receive ongoing communications and support to ensure 100% preparation.
Understanding just how unique each process must be, we clearly see the value individual training brings to each applicant.
The ERC Interview Preparation Training package includes the following four elements and sessions:
Session I: An opening training session which covers:
- General information and technical overview of the interview
- Developing the main presentation
- How to prepare for the Q&A session
- An ERC- customized presentation skills training
Session II: Strategic planning which covers:
A personalized brainstorming session with the applicant. We will discuss the best way to present the project during the interview, taking into account the project content, specific guidelines from the panel and all information presented in Session I. The output of this session is clear guidance and a set of action items for the applicant to prepare the presentation.
Presentation drafts exchange: Following Session II and before the 1st rehearsal (Session III), we will provide ongoing feedback to the applicant on drafts of the presentation, as required. Applicants are advised to make use of this opportunity and communicate with us for any question or assistance relating to their interview preparation.
Session III: 1st rehearsal – will preferably take place 3-4 weeks before the actual interview.
Session IV: 2nd rehearsal – will preferably take place 7-10 days before the actual interview.
General terms about Session III and IV (the two rehearsals):
- In both rehearsals we will simulate the real interview presentation and Q&A. We will provide feedback to applicant and simulate various questions that the applicant may have to answer in the interview, as well as how to address potential scientific disputes. The questions will cover conceptual, technical, operational and any other relevant issues, such as potential distractions.
- It is possible and recommended to invite others (peers, colleagues, with or without experience in ERC) to the rehearsals sessions. It will be the applicant’s responsibility to arrange and coordinate these sessions with the invitees.
- The training and rehearsals can be done remotely (over video conferencing) or on-site.
- All rehearsals are conducted with at least two experienced trainers from our company.
Additional method of engagement for ERC Interview Training for Synergy Grant:
During the ERC Interview Training we work to reflect the synergy of the team and the unique attributions and contributions of each PI. We will work with the team of PIs on the presentation (typically presented by one of the PIs). In addition, we will train all PIs to answer questions during the intensive Q&A session which follows. We work with the team on their connections, on understanding how to contribute to the team’s effort during the session, and to ensure the most relevant PI answers the question at hand.
Please refer to our timeline and deadline policies to learn more about the best time for this service, and our deadline for accepting new applications.
See what past participants said about our training:
Would you like to receive more information about this service?