All the technical details you need to know before applying to the ERC
ERC is a highly competitive grant, with an elaborate set of unique rules, policies and terminology. Having a full grasp of all official ERC requirements and expectations is an essential first step in the process of preparing an application. This will help you decide whether this is the right grant for you and approach the writing process efficiently. This workshop covers all the basic essentials you need to know before starting the process.
The objective and added value of our ERC Basics training:
In this workshop, we cover everything you need to know about the technical aspects of ERC. This includes all essential information from the official documentation and EC resources: the ERC Work Program, ERC Guide for Applicants, the ERC website and the online submission system, as well as important tips based on our years of hands-on experience with thousands of ERC proposals. Therefore, this workshop is ideal for potential ERC applicants who are not yet familiar with this grant and would like to learn more about it.
Importantly, this workshop only covers ERC basics. We thoroughly review all the official rules and provide you with a comprehensive understanding of this unique grant’s requirements. This will lay the foundation for understanding the ERC’s elusive and unofficial conceptual rules, covered in our “ERC Beyond Workshop: Achieving a Highly Competitive ERC Grant Proposal”.
In our experience, understanding ERC technicalities is a step that applicants tend to skip, however, by doing so they are missing crucial information which can directly affect the eligibility and competitiveness of the grant application. We know that reading all the official documents can be a tedious task – this is why we created this workshop to walk you through all these “boring” (yet essential) technicalities and answer questions about the less intuitive rules and policies. Once you have all the important information you need, you can move on to learning the ERC’s elusive and unwritten conceptual rules (which we highly recommend as a vital step in your path to ERC success).
The topics of the workshop include:
- ERC overview – what is it all about?
- Call types – StG, CoG, AdG and SyG
- Eligibility criteria and extensions of the eligibility window
- The ERC PI’s profile – what is a competitive track record in the ERC’s eyes?
- The ERC project – official requirements and evaluation criteria
- The evaluation process and review panels
- Submission restrictions
- The written application’s structure – B1 and B2
- The online submission system and online forms
- The resources section – how to present an ERC budget
- Annexes – ethics, host support letter and additional required supporting documentation
- Updates on the transition to Horizon Europe (changes to the 2021 and 2022 ERC calls)
- The ERC interview
The who, what, where, and when of our “ERC Basics” workshop:
Who participates in our “ERC Basics” workshop?
Participants are typically first-time ERC candidates, as well as Research managers & Funding Advisers who are new to the ERC grant.
What ERC calls does the “ERC Basics” workshop apply to?
This workshop targets all ERC calls: Starting, Consolidator, Advanced and Synergy.
Where does our “ERC Basics” workshop take place? There are two available options:
- NEW! We now offer our ERC training workshops at changing venues in Europe for single participants or small groups (up to 15 participants). For upcoming dates, locations, and to sign up go here.
- Our training sessions can be on-site booked by our institutional clients. We bring our experts all the way to you. Message us below for more information about this option.
When is the best time to attend this “ERC Basics” workshop?
We recommend attending a workshop as soon as possible, and no later than 3 months before the relevant ERC deadline to allow considerable time for the proposal preparation phase.