The ERC funding scheme has a highly counterintuitive essence when compared to the rest of the EU grants. Our customized workshop helps you decipher the elusive nature of the ERC & firmly grasp the unwritten rules for success.
COVID-19 Update: As long as travel restrictions remain in effect due to COVID-19, this workshop will only be available through our online webinar option (more information below).
About the “ERC Beyond” workshop: objectives & added value
The “ERC Beyond” workshop conveys to participants information that is beyond the ERC guide for applicants. From experience, we have come to understand and strongly believe that what sets apart less competitive ERC grant proposals from the highly competitive ones is a firm grasp of the programme’s elusive and unwritten conceptual rules.
Therefore, during this workshop we accelerate to the counterintuitive, elusive and conceptual parts of the ERC grant.
If you read the work program carefully you will surely notice the sole criterion is excellence. This is exactly where we come in. We decipher “excellence” for you, which is considered by many as ‘counter-intuitive’, based on our hands-on experience working with thousands of projects in the last decade. Alongside this criterion, we’ll uncover additional “unwritten” rules for success.
Note: To achieve a competitive proposal, it is imperative to acquire a firm grasp at the funding scheme’s basic requirements and rules, as well as its more conceptual and “unwritten” expectations. To ensure this, we offer our “ERC Basics” workshop (which we recommend for first-time ERC applicants), as an important prerequisite to this complementary “ERC Beyond” workshop.
The topics of the workshop include:
- The competitive PI profile – who is “ERC Material”?
- The evaluation process
- What constitutes the required Scientific Excellence?
- The unique nature of ERC: High risk, high gain, non-incremental work
- Hypothesis for ERC – how to do it right
- How to write a convincing methodology chapter
- Review Panel selection and the panel-application reciprocal effect
- The ERC interview
- ERC Synergy
- Application and submission process
- Ethical issues
- And more…
As we discuss the above, we always keep in mind the most important grant writing aspect – the point of view of the reviewers. Since we know what reviewers are looking for, we know exactly what researchers should focus on and what they should avoid, and make sure to focus on such tips and insights throughout the entire workshop.
At the end of this workshop, participants will have acquired a thorough and deep understanding of the ERC’s elusive and unwritten requirements and should feel better prepared to prepare competitive applications that meet the expectations of the reviewers.
Important considerations about the “ERC Beyond” workshop
- When is a good time to participate in this workshop? We recommend attending a workshop as soon as possible, and no later than 3 months before the relevant ERC deadline to allow considerable time for the proposal preparation phase.
- Who is this workshop relevant for? Participants are first-time ERC candidates, applicants who have submitted to ERC in the past, and Research managers & Funding Advisers who wish to deepen their understanding about the ERC grant.
Keep in mind, to achieve a competitive proposal, it is imperative to acquire a firm grasp at the funding scheme’s basic requirements and rules, as well as its more conceptual and “unwritten” expectations. To ensure this, we offer our “ERC Basics” workshop (which we recommend for first-time ERC applicants), as an important prerequisite to this complementary “ERC Beyond” workshop.
- What ERC calls are covered during the workshop? Our workshop covers the Starting, Advanced, Consolidator, and Synergy calls . We can put additional emphasis on specific calls during our live workshop formats (more information on workshop formats below).
Workshop formats: how to participate in the “ERC Beyond” workshop
For your convenience, the “ERC Beyond” workshop is available in several formats. To find the format that is best suited for you – begin by choosing either “single participant” (if you are signing up for yourself) or “closed-group” (if you would like to book a workshop for a group of participants from your institution). Inside you’ll discover the relevant formats.
In this format, the “ERC Beyond'' workshop is provided through our online Enspire Science Academy. You will receive access to our produced video segments, and can watch when most convenient to you! The video segments cover all the topics detailed in the list above.
- Special offer! ERC Workshop Package: Access both “ERC Basics Course + ERC Beyond Course” – 1350 EURO (VAT exempted) / participant
- "ERC Basics" ONLY – 675 EURO (VAT exempted) /participant
- "ERC Beyond" ONLY – 975 EURO (VAT exempted) / participant
If you would like to learn more about this format as a single participant, please fill out this form.
From time to time, we offer the “ERC Beyond” workshop at changing locations throughout Europe so that single participants, or small groups, can participate. In this format, the group is “open for registration” which means participants will be joining us from various institutions.
Due to COVID-19 there are currently no upcoming dates for this workshop format.
In this format, our experts come all the way to your institution for a live workshop session.
We normally recommend this format for groups of up to 50 participants (from your institution). In this format, we can accommodate dates and times that work best for your participants, and will also customize the content based on the relevant calls and the participants’ background with the ERC grant.
To inquire about this workshop format, please follow this link.
**Be sure to inquire about our “ERC Basics” workshop as well!
In this format, the “ERC Beyond” workshop is provided through our online Enspire Science Academy. Participants receive access to our produced video segments, and can watch when most convenient to them!
This format is divided into two segments:
- Pre-recorded Segment: An online pre-recorded video training (divided into chapters) covering all “ERC Beyond” topics listed above. While watching the video, participants are requested to prepare a list of questions regarding the course material.
- Live Q&A Segment: Following the first segment, a live online webinar session with all participants will take place. During this session, our team will present the collected questions and answer them; and answer/clarify any additional questions if needed.
Would you like to inquire about this option for your institution? Follow this link.
**Be sure to inquire about our “ERC Basics” workshop as well!