Horizon 2020 is the EU funding program for research and innovation. The program offers a wide selection of funding calls & opportunities specifically applicable to businesses and companies. Successfully winning one such call and acquiring funding is a chance to achieve significant growth and international development for your company.
Securing Horizon 2020 funds can be of great value, but we often experience that this avenue is largely left untouched by companies because:
- the initial process of searching, assessing and understanding which opportunities are right for your business is a very meticulous process
- the funding program itself has a substantial amount of rules & requirements that must be learned in order to fully understand which calls are relevant for you.
As a result, many companies do not fully exploit the funding opportunities that are readily available to them.
Note: The Horizon 2020 funding program is in its final year. Its successor, Horizon Europe (2021 – 2028) will be launched and it is expected that the overall budget for Horizon Europe will be significantly higher.
The added value of securing Horizon 2020 funds:
Different from the well-known business investment models, and compared to other less lucrative public funding agencies, Horizon 2020 funds:
- are pure grants with non-diluting funds, meaning your company won’t need to give any equity or royalties away.
- have a fixed and stable funding rate during the full duration of the project (3-5 years). The funding rate is either 70% or 100% of the project’s budget and derives from the nature of the targeted Horizon 2020 topic.
- have a wide range of available budget per topic. This may span anywhere between 2 and 15 million Euros per project. Similar to the funding rate, the selected overall budget per project derives from the nature of the targeted Horizon 2020 topic.
- come without any Intellectual Property (IP) constraints or limitations, including the transfer of IP.
- bring stability. Once your company is granted, the funding is secured for the full duration of the project. Typical R&D projects under Horizon 2020 run for 3 up to 5 years.
- require a consortium-based structure. This is a great opportunity with the innate potential to establish new international collaborations and further grow and develop (must have at least partners from 3 different countries). Such collaborations can be of any kind: R&D, exploration, engineering, validation, testing, marketing, “Go to market” (potential clients, trial locations, authorities, etc) and many more.
- offer a wide variety of available grants and opportunities.
How to apply for Horizon 2020 funding
Horizon 2020 is a highly prestigious and competitive funding opportunity. A significant amount of time and resources must be allocated for the long and demanding proposal preparation process.
The first step in securing EU Horizon 2020 funds is by clearly identifying relevant open calls. For this matter, one should search for the right topics and/or calls for proposals within the Horizon 2020 program. The complete information about these topics and calls for proposals is available online in the EC Funding & Tender opportunities portal. We highly recommend getting acquainted with this portal and the information provided there.
From experience, this first step alone can be strenuous and overwhelming, and this is exactly why our team offers to assist you during this leg of the process.
With over two decades worth of experience working with many clients on the process of applying for EC Horizon 2020 funding, we are happy to assist you with this screening service to fully exploit the available Horizon 2020 funding opportunities for you. Should we find such relevant calls – our team is happy to continue working with you and guiding you closely on the process of preparing a highly competitive Horizon 2020 application through our full suite of proposal preparation services.
What does this service include?
The Enspire Science team will handle the entire process of scanning, searching, and deeply understanding the requirements of the available calls, and assess those which are potentially relevant to your company.
This process includes:
- Part 1: Understanding of your company. You will be required to complete a form that seeks to define and understand your company, its product/services, and more.
- Part 2: Horizon 2020 funding opportunities search. Once completed, the Enspire Science team sets off to research, study and analyze which (if any) of the current calls or grants are the right fit for your company.
- Part 3: Calls report and feedback. When we have fully exhausted all available Horizon 2020 calls, our team will provide a final report discussing your current funding opportunities.
- Post-service: Should your team choose to move forward, we are happy to continue to be of assistance as you begin the process of preparing your Horizon 2020 application. The next best step is our complimentary Go/No-Go service.
This service is offered at a flat rate of 490 euro per search request.
Each request includes the full process as detailed above.